Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Funding & fees

Masters Excellence Scholarships: up to £500,000 in tuition fee discounts available

Research Councils

The seven Research Councils in the UK provide government funding for postgraduate study for UK and EU students directly to research organisations. This funding is not normally available for students outside of the EU.

The Research Councils administer their studentships through universities that have proven records of excellent postgraduate training undertaken in a context of world-class research.

Cardiff University is the lead partner in the Economic and Social Research (ESRC) Wales Doctoral Training Centre, and holds block doctoral training grants for the following Councils: Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Medical Research Council (MRC), Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).

PhD studentships will also be listed in our Funding and Scholarship Search as they become available. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook if you want to be kept up-to-date with any funding opportunity at Cardiff University.

How much is Research Council funding worth?

A full award typically consists of payment of home tuition fees plus a stipend to cover living costs.

Who is eligible for the full award?

If you are a UK student (for fees calculation purposes) or an EU student who has lived in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course (including for educational purposes) you are eligible for the full award (ie fees and stipend).

When should I apply?

Application deadlines vary, investigating your options early is advisable. PhD studentships with their deadlines will also be listed in our Funding and Scholarship Search as they become available.

How do I apply?

The application process varies but you will usually need to apply directly to the university. Full details of how to apply will be listed in our Funding and Scholarship Search.

Further information

Additional information is available on the Research Council’s website.

You may also wish to contact a relevant academic School for further advice about Research Council funding and other funding options available.