Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Are my family entitled to healthcare in the UK?

As long as your course lasts 6 months or more, your wife/husband and children under 16 (under 19 if still at school or college) can get free healthcare treatment from the NHS. They should register with a doctor in the same way as you when they arrive in the UK.

Otherwise, you and your family are only entitled to limited free NHS treatment. You will have free emergency hospital treatment but only the treatment given in a NHS Accident and Emergency department is free of charge.

If your course is less than 6 months, it is very important that you take out medical insurance for the duration of your visit to the UK.

For more information see: do I need medical insurance?

« Return to living in Cardiff homepage