Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

What evidence do I need to provide if I have a financial or government sponsor?

UKBA define an official sponsor as one of the following:

  • The UK Government or your government in your home country
  • The British Council
  • An international organisation
  • An international company
  • Cardiff University

If your official financial sponsor is paying all your tuition fees and living expenses, you do not have to provide separate evidence of your savings. However, you must provide a letter from your official financial sponsor confirming that your sponsor will pay all your tuition fees and living expenses. This letter must be on official letterhead paper showing:

  • Your name
  • The name and contact details of the official financial sponsor
  • The date of the letter
  • The length of the sponsorship – start and end date
  • The amount of money the sponsor is giving you or confirmation that they will pay all your tuition fees and living expenses
  • The official stamp of the organisation

If your sponsor only pays some of your costs, you will need a letter from them and proof that you have enough money yourself to meet the rest of the maintenance requirements (e.g. personal bank statements).

« Return to visas & immigration homepage