Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

If I am using a bank account, what evidence do I need to provide?

If you are using your own or personal bank account, you need to provide your original bank statement in your name covering a 28 day period.

The date of the bank statement must be no more than 1 month old at the time you submit your student visa application.

Your original personal bank statement must show:

  • your name
  • account number
  • the date of statement
  • the name and logo of the bank
  • that the balance has not fallen below the required amount for the full 28 day period.

Letter from your bank
If you don’t have a bank statement, you can also provide a letter from your bank including the same information as on the personal bank statement (see above).

Cash in a parent or legal guardian's account

If you are relying on money held by your parents or legal guardian, you must also show that they have given their permission for you to use this money. You must provide a letter from your parents/legal guardian which must confirm:

  • the relationship between you and them
  • that your parents / legal guardian have given their consent to you using their funds to study in the UK.  

If your parents or legal guardians are providing your tuition fees and living costs, you must also prove that they are your parents or legal guardians.

You do this by providing one of the following:

  • your original birth certificate, showing the name of your parents
  • certificate of adoption showing your name
  • original court documents stating the name of your legal guardian

You must also include your parents’ or legal guardian’s original bank statement including all the same information as on the personal bank statement.

Cash in a joint account with your relative or friend
If you are being sponsored by another relative or a friend, you must show a joint bank account statement in your and their name with all the above details.

Banks Statements
If you are using any submitting any bank statements with your visa application, you must write the closing balance in pounds sterling on the original statement using the UKVI official exchange rate website:

« Return to visas & immigration homepage