Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

I already have a student visa for the UK, do I need a new visa to study at Cardiff University?

Yes, if you are currently based in the UK and do not have a Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa then you must apply for a new Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study here.

If you want to leave your current course prior to completion then you must make your application from within the UK. More information can be found on the UKVI website.

Can I enrol without a new Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa?

No, according to UK immigration rules you will not be able to enrol at Cardiff University until you can provide evidence that you have a valid Cardiff University Tier 4 Student Visa or you have submitted an application to the UK Border Agency.

Your visa will be checked by University staff when you enrol at Cardiff and pick up your student ID card.

If you do not have a visa that allows you to study, you will not be able to start your studies and therefore ideally you should have received your visa prior to enrolment.

I plan to go home for the summer holidays. Can I apply for my Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa in my home country?

Many students will be using the summer vacation period as an opportunity to travel home to see family and friends. This is also a perfect opportunity to apply for your Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa, at a reduced price of £289. More information including a step by step guide can be found on our applying for a student visa in your home country webpage.

I don't hold a Tier 4 student visa. Do I need to do anything?

Please read the information here.

Can anybody help me with my application?

If you are currently in the UK, we recommend that you use International Student Support to assist you with your visa application because its staff:

  • Have in-depth immigration knowledge;
  • Can track the progress of your application;
  • Can verify that your application has been submitted to the UK Border Agency, which will assist you during the enrolment process.

You can download a useful guide to extending your student visa which explains how International Student Support can assist and guide you through the process. You should start the application procedure immediately. You can contact International Student Support by email or telephone: 02920 874844.

Can I apply independently?

It is possible to apply for your new Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa independently and there are instructions on the Student Support Centre webpages. However, for the reasons given above we do not recommend that you do so. It is preferable to apply with the expert help and advice of the International Student Support Team.

If you have any queries regarding this information please do not hesitate to contact International Student Support.

« Return to visas & immigration homepage