Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

How much money do I need to show for my student visa?

You need to show that you have enough money for your:

  1. Tuition fees for your first period of study. The amount you need to show will be in your CAS email.
  2. Living expenses. If you are coming to the UK for 9 months or more (all undergraduate and postgraduate students) you must show £7,380.

If you are coming for less than 9 months, you will need to show that you have £820 per month. Part months are "rounded up" to the next month (for example, if your course lasts 1 month and 5 days, it is treated as 2 calendar months).

Bringing dependants

If you are bringing any dependants to the UK you will also need to show you have £460 per month for each dependant that you bring with you (for up to a maximum of 9 months). The Student Support Centre has more advice and guidance on the dependants’ visa process.

Also see:

« Return to visas & immigration homepage