Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

How can I get visas so my family can live with me?

Before making the decision about whether to bring your family to Cardiff, you will need to consider whether the immigration rules allow them into the UK, your financial position and whether your partner and children will adapt to life in the UK.

UKVI only allow your "dependants" to obtain visas to come and live with you in the UK. A "dependant" is your partner/husband/wife and any dependant children you may have. They can stay with you in the UK if:

  • You are government sponsored and your course is over 6 months long
  • You are doing a postgraduate level course of 12 months or longer.

UKCISA have created a tool to help you find out if your family can come and stay with you in the UK see:

The following websites will be useful to you:

You must make your preparations well in advance. It is particularly important that you ensure that your finances are arranged and that you have organised suitable accommodation for you and your family.

To apply for a dependants visa, they need to complete application form VAF10, which you can download from the right hand side of this page:

You should also refer to the ‘PBS Dependant Guidance Notes’ that are available on the same web page, when completing the form.

A separate form is needed for each dependant, and each dependant must pay a fee which is the equivalent of £289, in local currency.

For an explanation of the application process, choose the country they are living in on the list on the UKVI website and look at the information displayed there.

Financial requirements

You must have sufficient funds to pass the maintenance test of £450 a month for each dependant that you bring with you for up to a maximum of 9 months (£4,050 for each dependant).

Thus, if you are coming to the UK with your partner and 1 child to study a 12 month postgraduate course, you must show that you have £8,100 plus the amount of money for your own support of £7,200 plus your 1st year tuition fees. The money can be held by the dependant, or you, or (if the dependant is your child) the child’s other parent (but only if the other parent will come to the UK too).

« Return to visas & immigration homepage