Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Do I need to get non-English documents translated?

Yes, if any of your documents you are submitting are not in English, the original must be included with a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This includes any references/qualifications/transcripts or bank statements/letters.

This translation must include the following:

  • translator’s qualifications
  • confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • the date (which must be dated no more than 1 calendar month before you make your application for your student visa)
  • translator’s signature

To find a professional translator in the UK, see: or go to the Institute of Translation and Interpreting website:

  1. Click on "Find a professional".
  2. To search for a translator click on "Translators" top of the web page.
  3. On language selection click your language you are translating from (for example: "Chinese"). Leave the language "To" as "English".
  4. Input the "Subject Area" – there are drop down menu. If you need your qualification certificates/references translated please choose: "Humanities"
  5. Input the "Specific Area" – again a drop down menu. Choose "Education and Training"

You will then get a list of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting qualified members who are experienced in translating from your language into English.

If you click on a name, the contact details for that person will be shown. It is up to you to negotiate rates with your chosen translator. The contract is strictly between you and the translator.

Also see:

- What do I need to apply for my Tier 4 student visa?

« Return to visas & immigration homepage