Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Do I need a visa?

If you want to come to the UK as a 'student' it is very likely that you will need to apply for "entry clearance" or a "student visa" before you leave your home country, as the majority of international students need a student visa.

The only students who do not need a student visa, as those nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. If you are from a Commonwealth country, including USA and Canada, you will need to apply for a student visa BEFORE you leave home.

Even if you have 'home' fee status it is important to check whether you need a visa. Some students, particularly those from some British territories, may have home fee status but also require a visa.

The 'Do you need a visa?' UKVI webpages will help you determine whether you need to obtain a visa before you travel to the UK. It also contains guidance on the type of visa that you might need.

« Return to visas & immigration homepage