Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Bringing your family

Before making the decision about whether to bring your family to Cardiff, you will need to consider whether the immigration rules allow them into the UK, your financial position and whether your partner and children will adapt to life in the UK.

Can my family/dependants stay with me in the UK during my studies?

UK immigration authorities only allow your dependants to obtain visas to come to the UK. This is your partner/husband/wife and any dependant children you may have.

They can stay with you in the UK if:

  • You are government-sponsored and your course is over six months long, or
  • You are doing a postgraduate level course of 12 months or longer.

UKCISA have created a tool to help you find out if your family can come and stay with you in the UK, see:

Where can I get more information?

For more advice on a wide range of issues including immigration, accommodation, health, employment, schools and childcare for your family see: