Community First Bursaries 2014
Communities First Awards are for students who started Cardiff University in 2014 from Welsh Communities First areas as designated by the Welsh Assembly Government and have a household income below £50,020.
Eligible students receive either a £1,000 Cardiff University residences fee discount or a £500 travel bursary in their first year only.
The bursary is paid in 3 instalments.
This award is paid in addition to the Cardiff University Bursary.
Communities First bursaries are open to NHS funded students.
Travel bursaries will normally be paid by the 6th week of each term by BACS payment. (dependant on bank details having been received at least 2 weeks in advance).
Residences discount is paid directly to the Cardiff University halls of residence. If a student leaves or moves into a qualifying halls of residence mid year their bursary will be amended at the next payment.
To qualify for a Community First award a student must;
- Be eligible for Welsh student funding (for living costs, as defined in student support regulations)
- Be starting a full time undergraduate course in academic year 2014-15 (not PGCE)
- Have a compete assessment with a household income under £50,020 (assessed by your award authority)
- Be in attendance at the payment dates.
- Live in a communities First area as identified at the start of the academic year, (To check if you live in a community First area please type your post code into our calculator )
- To qualify for a residence fee discount you must be living in Cardiff University owned residences (this does not include Liberty Living or other privately owned halls of residence).
There is no application process. Eligible students will be identified at the start of their course and income details confirmed from the information provided when applying for student funding, (do remember to give consent to share information with the university if you wish to be considered for this bursary).
You will however be contacted via your university email account to confirm your award and regarding payment details.
NHS students will be contacted and will be asked to provide evidence of their funding to confirm eligibility.
Recipients of these awards may be requested to act as ambassadors for the university or take part in publicity activities relating to widening participation.
For more information or any queries please contact Sheila King on BursariesandScholarships@Cardiff.ac.uk or on 02920879128.