The 2nd LinC Summer school and Workshop in Systemic Functional Linguistics
Location: Cardiff University, Wales
Date: 3 - 5 September 2012
THIS WORKSHOP HAS NOW TAKEN PLACE
General registration is now full but we are keeping a waiting list.
We are pleased to announce the 2nd LinC summer school in Systemic Functional Linguistics to be held at Cardiff University from September 3-5 inclusive, 2012, with welcome and registration taking place on September 2nd.
The goal of the summer school is to offer research and training in both understanding the Systemic Functional Linguistic theory of language and applying it to educational settings. The summer school will run two parallel courses: introduction and applied.
The introduction to SFL course is ideal for people with little or no experience of SFL or those who want a refresher course. The applied course assumes a good foundation in SFL and is suited for people interested in applying SFL to educational settings. Both are suitable for professionals, students, and researchers who have an interest in learning more about Systemic Functional Linguistics and its applications.
The summer school will also include a Poster Session (see below for more information).
Sheena Gardner, Geoff Thompson, Mick O’Donnell, Izaskun Elorza, Blanca García-Riaza, Claire Acevedo, Margaret Berry, Alan Hess, Lise Fontaine, Tom Bartlett and Gerard O’Grady.
Introductory Course - click here for session descriptions
The Introductory Course in SFL will introduce participants to the basics of SFL with a particular focus on clausal analysis. There will be sessions on each of the three metafunctions - the experiential, the interpersonal and the textual - as well as sessions discussing how the metafunctions combine to make multi-stranded meaning and on potential applications of the approach. The programme is set up to provided a paired lecture and workshop dedicated to each topic, which provides the opportunity to gain hands-on practical experience in analysing grammar. The programme also introduces the UAM CorpusTool for those who are interested in learning to use it.
- Introduction to SFL (Lise Fontaine)
- Experiential Meaning (Tom Bartlett)
- Experiential Meaning workshop (Tom Bartlett)
- Interpersonal Meaning (Geoff Thompson and Lise Fontaine)
- Workshop on Interpersonal Meaning, introducing the UAM CorpusTool (Mick O'Donnell and Lise Fontaine)
- Textual and information Meaning (Gerard O'Grady)
- Workshop on Textual and information Meaning (Gerard O'Grady)
- Summary Session: the full analysis and applications (Tom Bartlett and Gerard O'Grady)
Applied Course - click here for descriptions
The applied course assumes a good foundation in SFL and is suited for people interested in applying SFL to educational settings. The sessions in the applied course are varied, providing a range of knowledge and experience in applying SFL to educational settings.
- Exploring university student writing through the BAWE corpus (Sheena Gardner)
- Teaching ‘reported speech’: From a formal to a systemic approach (Izaskun Elorza and Blanca García-Riaza)
- Interpersonal choices in the construction of the reader-in-the-text (Geoff Thompson)
- Classroom discourse analysis (Mick O'Donnell)
- Analysis using the UAM CorpusTool (Mick O'Donnell)
- The Reading to Learn literacy acceleration program (Claire Acevedo)
- Integrating SFL in education: presentations and open discussion (Alan Hess and Margaret Berry)
Call for Poster Presentations
Participants at the summer school are encouraged to submit an abstract for a Poster Presentation. Accepted proposals will be presented at a poster session. Deadline for submissions is May 1st 2012. Send abstracts of 500 words to email@example.com.
Registration fee is £120 for the full three days. There are a limited number of places available so please book early. The summer school will only run if the minimum number of places are filled. The registration form is now available from the menu in the top right section of this page. Please note that we cannot accept online payments. Registration is only complete once payment is received.
University accommodation will be available for those who wish to stay in halls of residence. The accommodation form will be available soon from the menu in the top right section of this page. There is also a link to other places to stay in Cardiff.
The registration fee for the full three days of the summer school is £120.00. We are committed to keeping the fee as low as possible so that it is accessible to all who want to attend. The fee will include course materials, bibliography, and Certificate of Attendance.
Meals and refreshments are not included in the registration fee. There is a cafeteria in the building and there are many local shops, pubs and cafes in the immediate area for those who want to purchase their own food and refreshments rather than bring their own.
For further information please contact:
Lise Fontaine, Tom Bartlett or Gerard O'Grady: