Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu
Postgraduate Facilities & Support
We provide the following facilities to Postgraduate research students:
- Access to competitive bursaries for the first year of your study in the School at PhD level.
- The opportunity to apply for financial support for attendance at conferences, other research visits, and materials.
- The opportunity of paid undergraduate teaching, supported by training and mentoring.
- An individual supervisor, guiding each student through the programme of research in a series of one-to-one supervisions through the year. In addition, students have further support from a second member of staff, who can provide independent advice on general academic and pastoral matters. Each programme has a Director of Postgraduate Studies who has overall responsibility for research students in the area.
- Fully equipped dedicated study rooms, containing computing facilities (including scanning and printing), secure lockers, shelves, and photocopying facilities.
- Programmes of research seminars and lectures, with contributions from visiting academics, members of staff in the School, and research students. Those of special interest to students within the School include those organised by the Centre for Editorial and Intertextual Research, the Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory, English Literature, the Centre for the Study of Medieval Society and Culture, and the Centre for Language and Communication Research and the Health Communication Research Centre. All registered postgraduate students are encouraged to attend research seminars and lectures.
- Postgraduate students run their own reading groups, lunchtime seminars and student conferences.
- Opportunities to organise and participate in student conferences.
- Comprehensive training programmes organised across the School as appropriate to the individual discipline.
- Admission to the University Graduate Centre facilities, and the programme of research training and career development seminars and sessions organised by the University Graduate College.