Maura Goodrich Dunst
Area: English Literature
My thesis, “Such Genius as Hers: Music in New Woman Fiction,” examines the figure of the woman musician in the works of writers such as Sarah Grand, Mona Caird, George Egerton, and Kate Chopin. Each chapter examines a different aspect or manifestation of the New Woman musician, encompassing performers, composers, prima donnas, auditors, and the composition of musico-literary works.
Supervisor: Professor Ann Heilmann
Ph.D., English, Cardiff University—2013
M.A., English: Victorian Studies, University of Exeter—2010 (with distinction)
M.A., English, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire—2009
Bachelor of Journalism, University of Missouri – 2006
“He, watching over Morningquest: The Chime’s Musical Performance
in Sarah Grand’s The Heavenly Twins.” Interdisciplinary Literary Studies. Forthcoming.
“‘Speak on, desolate mother!’: Elizabeth Gaskell’s Isolated (M)others.” The Gaskell Journal 25 (2012).
“Mona Caird.” The Literary Encyclopedia. 19 January 2012.
Conferences, Symposia and Seminars
- “The Politics of Gender and Power in the Autobiographical Fiction of the New Woman Writers.” Writing Life Postgraduate Symposium. University of Malta, Msida, Malta. March 22-23, 2013.
- “The Rise and Fall of George Egerton in the 1890s: Oscar Wilde, John Lane, and a Sharp Turn.” Transgressions, Trespassing, and Taboo in the Long Nineteenth-Century. Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK. April 10, 2013.
- “Music, Morals, and Money: The Value(s) of George Moore and George du Maurier’s Prima Donnas.” BAVS Conference, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK. August 30-September 1, 2012.
- “Depraved Demon or Sexless Spinster?: Sex and the New Woman in Late Victorian England.” Taking Liberties: Sex, Pleasure Coercion (1848-1928). Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK. June 15-17, 2012.
- “‘What does the music rouse inside that frail frame?’: Music’s Effect on Female Auditors in New Woman Fiction.” Literature and Music. Lucian Blaga University, Sibiu, Romania. May 10-12, 2012.
- “‘Rebel Music’: Female Composers and Composition in New Woman Fiction.” BAVS Conference. University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK. September 1-3, 2011.
- “Voluntary Confinement: Gender and Class Restrictions in Rebecca West’s The Return of the Soldier.” Midwest Modern Language Association Conference. Minneapolis, MN. November 13-16, 2008.
- “’A warning, or a promise’: Mendelssohn’s ‘He, watching over Israel’ in Sarah Grand’s The Heavenly Twins.” Red River Graduate Student Conference. North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND. March 6-8, 2008.
- “The Forgotten ‘Queen of Bath’: Remembering Author/Mayoress Madame Sarah Grand.” General University Lecture Programme (GULP), University of Bath. May 30, 2012.
- Panels (2): “Music in Nineteenth-Century British Literature.” Ninth Biennial Conference on Music in Nineteenth-Century Britain. Cardiff University. June 24-27, 2013.
- “‘Viewer, I married him’: Reading (Re)Productions of the Long Nineteenth Century in Period Drama.” University of Hull, June 29, 2012.
- Tutor, “Reading and Identity,” Cardiff University English Department—Spring 2013
- Tutor, “Introduction to the Novel and Poetry,” Cardiff University English Department—Fall 2012
- Tutor, “Introduction to Literary Studies,” University of Hull English Department—2011-2012
- Tutor, “British Landmark Texts,” University of Hull English Department—Fall 2011