Study in Europe

Studying abroad is a great opportunity to make the most of your time at University whilst immersing yourself in a culture quite different from your own. It provides an alternative perspective on your chosen subject and opens up brand new avenues of academic thought. However, it is more than an outstanding academic experience. It is also about your own self-development; it is about growing in confidence and making life-long friends from all over the world.

ERASMUS - European Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students

Erasmus is an exchange programme has been running for over twenty years and offers students the chance to spend a period of time studying abroad at a European partner institution. It is available to all part two or higher full- time students. So far, over 3 million students have participated in the scheme.

How long can I go for?

In some cases it may be possible to study for a whole academic year, in which case your degree would then normally take four years. In other cases, students study abroad only for one semester. If you have any queries, it is best to talk to your Course Director who will be able to inform you on the ‘Erasmus semester’ identified in the course (normally in the third year, but other options can be explored for the second year). More information can be provided by Dr Mara Miele, your School Erasmus Co-ordinator, who will be able to advise you as to what kind of links your School has.

Who can go?

Most students are eligible to take part in the scheme. You must have already completed part one of your studies and be a full- time student, but eligibility extends all the way up to doctoral level. You must also be a national of a European Union member state or European Economic Area member, or officially recognised by the United Kingdom as a refugee, stateless person or permanent resident. You must also not have already taken part in an Erasmus exchange scheme.

What if I can't speak a foreign language?

Many students are put off by the fact that they are unable to speak a foreign language, and so feel that they would be unable to live and study abroad. However, some universities offer Erasmus courses taught in English, and so in many cases it is not essential to speak another language. Nevertheless, the ability to communicate effectively in another language apart from your own is a great skill, and the programme seeks to enhance linguistic ability. If you can’t speak another language, it is always worth looking to see if there are opportunities open to you, and it is worth remembering that the host institutions often put on free language courses for the Erasmus students. A basic knowledge of the target language though is almost always recommended.

How would the extra year be funded?

The British Council offers a grant that is available to all students participating on the scheme. The grant money is intended to offset any additional costs created by living abroad, and is meant to extend to costs such as travel or any extra accommodation costs etc. The School might provide additional financial incentives (please check with your Erasmus coordinator). On top of this, the receipt of an Erasmus grant does not affect your eligibility for a national or state loan as you might normally receive. You would also not have to pay tuition fees to your host university.
Students studying through the Erasmus Programme will not be asked to pay any tuition fees to their host University.

Where can I go?

There are many countries participating in the Erasmus exchange programme. The list of European Partners that have links with CPLAN in 2012-13 are :-

  • Denmark
    • Aalborg University.
  • France
    • University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne.
  • Germany
    • Leibniz University Hannover.
    • Universität Dortmund.
    • Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart.
  • Greece
    • Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
  • Italy
    • Sapienza Università di Roma.
    • Universite degli Studi Roma Tre.
    • Università degli Studi di Cagliari.
    • Politecnico Di Milano.
    • Università Degli Studi Di Palermo.
    • Università degli Studi Di Perugia.
    • Università Di Pisa.
  • The Netherlands
    • Wageningen Universiteit.
  • Poland
    • Politechnika Wroclawska.
  • Sweden
    • Blekinge Institute of Technology (BTH).
  • Turkey
    • Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul.

I would like to study abroad. What do I do now?

If you would like to participate in the Erasmus scheme, the best option would be to talk to your School Co-ordinator about your options. If you have any questions regarding the structure of the scheme itself, please e-mail the Erasmus office at

School Co-ordinator in CPLAN:

Dr Mara Miele
Telephone: +44 (0)29 208 79121