Shin teaches and researches on various urban and transport-related topics. She also works with the World Bank in applying ICT (Information Communication Technology) to urban planning and transport in the development context. Shin is Director of Masters Graduate School (MGS).
- PhD, School of Policy, Planning and Development, University of Southern California
- Master in Planning, School of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Southern California
- MA in Art History, Hongik University, Seoul
- BA, Ewha Woman's University, Seoul, South Korea
- Chartered member of the CILT (Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport)
- Lecturer, School of City and Regional Planning, Cardiff University (2001-2010)
- Research Associate, School of Policy, Planning and Development, University of Southern California (1994 - 2001)
- Lecturer (Part-time), Urban Studies and Planning Program, California State University, Northridge (2000 - 2001)
- Research Assistant, School of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Southern California (1991-1994)
- Editor, International Planning Studies
Group Membership and Centre Affiliation
- Member, Spatial Analysis Research Group
- Associate Member, Sustainable Places
- Thematic Member, WISERD
- the evolution of urban structure
- sustainable transport and travel behaviour
- information communication technology for development
- Interreg IVB 'New Integrated Smart Mobility for Europe'
- Wales Social Research 'Public Transport Integration'
- NIHR 'Change in alcohol outlet density and alcohol-related harm to population health'
- EPSRC Deliver Plan 'Electric Vehicles Value Chain – Bridging the gaps'
- CPLAN 'Urban morphology and travel behaviour'
- Omar Alotabi – Attitudes towards public transport in Riyadh
- Gayle Wootton – Rights based approach to assessing rapid public transport system in Latin American cities
- MSc Transport and Planning
- BSc City and Regional Planning
- BSc Planning and Geography
- MSc Eco-cities
- Sustainable Transport
- Transport and the City
- Transport and Mobility
- Director of Masters Graduate School
- Course Director, MSc Transport and Planning
- CPLAN Accreditation Panel
“Big data for smart development and smart-cities”, invitation by the World Bank and Rwandan Ministry of ICT and Youth, Kigali, 15-16, June 2013.
“Travel behaviour and the recession”, invitation by Centre for Transport & Society, University of West of England, Bristol, 17 February, 2011.
“Public transport service provision and the car use: a European perspective” invited talk at ‘Shaping Climate-Friendly Transport in Europe: Key Findings and Future Directions’, organised by the European consortium REACT, Belgrade, 16-17 May 2011.
“Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) – a UK perspective”, invitation by Korea Transport Institute (KOTI), Seoul, Korea, 5 December, 2010.
“The built environment, active transport and health”, Innovation and Engagement seminar series organised by Spatial Analysis Research Group, School of City and Regional Planning, 4 March 2010.
“Low-carbon transport: principles and research agenda”, invitation to a UK interdisciplinary transportation workshop on ‘Low-carbon transport’, organised by School of Psychology, Cardiff University, 7 June, 2010.
"Policy transference from London to the United States", Congestion Pricing Workshop, UK-US collaboration organised by HW Richardson, USC, held at Moeller Centre, Churchill College, Cambridge, 6-7 May, 2006.
"Docklands redevelopment - UK experience", International Symposium on Redevelopment of Pusan Habour Area, Pusan, Korea, 16 June, 2006.
“Urban form and sustainable travel behaviour”, invited public lecture at Universidad del Bio-Bio, Concepción, Chile, 24 March 2005.
The World Bank (ICT Sector Unit, Transport Water and ICT).