I have long had research interests in issues of social justice and equal opportunities in relation to urban planning and development. Much of my research has looked at race equality and planning. In recent years I have added to these an interest in research ethics, the evident tensions in contemporary higher education and, especially, the education of the professions.
- BA Hons Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Oxford University (1977)
- MPhil Town Planning, University College London (1979)
- PhD City and Regional Planning, Cardiff University (2009)
- Certificate in Curriculum Design, Oxford Brookes University (1989)
- Fellow, Royal Geographical Society
- Member, Royal Town Planning Institute
- Assistant Planner / Planner / Senior Planner, Cardiff City Council, (1980 - 1988)
- Senior Lecturer, School of Planning, Oxford Brookes University, (1988 - 1993)
- Lecturer, Department of Planning and Geography, Cardiff University, (1993 - 1995)
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Planning and Geography, Cardiff University, (1995 - 1999)
- Reader, Department of Planning and Geography, Cardiff University, (1999 - Present)
Memberships / External Activities
- Member, Editorial Board, International Planning Studies
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events
- Member, Scientific Committee of the Sharjah Urban Planning Symposium, November 2008
- Member, Programme Advisory Group, International Play Association Conference, Cardiff 2011
- Refereeing (in recent years) : Urban Studies; Planning Theory and Practice; Environment and Planning A; Environment and Planning B; Environment and Planning C; International Planning Studies; Tourism Management; Housing, Theory and Society; Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events;Urban Policy and Research; Town Planning Review; Journal of Planning Education and Research; Planning Theory
- External examiner at Queen’s University Belfast
Research Group Membership
Interests / Areas of Expertise
Equal opportunities (including accessible environments), urban regeneration, planning processes and procedures, planning theory, planning history.
- Land Use Futures (2015)
- Review of Design and Access Statements in Wales (2013)
- A New Approach to Development Management in Wales (2012)
- Routes to employment for unemployed graduates, Higher Education Academy Wales (2011)
- Reflecting on reflection … as a basis for better focused teaching and learning, CEBE (2011)
- The Impact of the Ethical Framework for Local Government, Standards Board for England (2008-2013)
- Supporting Part-time Students, HEFCW (2009)
- Small Businesses and the Planning System in Wales, Federation of Small Businesses (2008 - 2009)
- Review of Community Enterprise Wales, CEW (2005)
- Planning and Diversity, ODPM (2003)
- Teaching Equal Opportunities in the Built Environment, CEBE (2002 - 2003)
- Design for Diversity, Welsh Development Agency (2002)
- Social Innovation, Governance and Community Building, EC (2001 - 2005)
- Methodology for Spatial Planning, National Assembly for Wales (2001)
- The Quality of Development Plans, RTPI (1999 - 2000)
- Lottery Funding and Coalfield Areas, DCMS (1999)
- The Multi-Ethnic City, E.C. (1998 - 1999)
In recent years, the following students successfully completed:
- Ruth Whiting - 'Site Under Construction' The role of discourse in the social construction of Local Authority Traveller accommodation.
- Elaine Davey - A National Architect? The Percy Thomas Practice and Welsh national identity.
- Hade Turkmen - Dynamics of Contention in Urban Renewal Projects in Istanbul.
- Francesca Montemaggi - The Search for Authenticity in Religious Life.
I continue to supervise:
- Robert Croydon - Patronage Power and Probity.
- Federico Bellentani - Practices of Excision: Conservation, marginalization and excision within Estonian urban space.
I am interested in PhD ideas in any of my areas of interest.
I teach on undergraduate and masters programmes.
BSc Urban Planning and Development : Planning Theory and Practice
Masters programmes : Planning- nature, purpose, instruments; Researching Spatial Planning; Planning and Real Estate
Course Director: Spatial Planning and Development
Columnist in RTPI Wales journal.