Established in 1966, the School of Planning and Geography is a leading international centre for teaching and research in spatial planning and human geography. We are a multi-disciplinary applied human geography and urban studies school.
What makes us special?
- Teaching Excellence: We consistently achieve high ratings in the National Student Survey with a 100% satisfaction rate in 2014 *
- Research Excellence: We have been consistently ranked in the top 10 of UK HEI’s since the very first Research Assessment Exercise in 1992.
- Professional links and employability: Our degree programmes are accredited by professional organisation, and over 90% of our graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduating **
- Degree programmes: We currently offer three undergraduate degrees, eight taught postgraduate degree programmes, and a variety of postgraduate research opportunities
- Interdisciplinary partnerships: Our research centres include PLACE, BRASS and WISERD, all bringing together scholars from across the University
- Over 40 teaching staff: Professors, Readers, Senior Lecturers and Lecturers
- 20 research staff: Research Associates and Fellows working on a variety of projects
- 18 support staff: The School Manager leads a team of administrative and technical support staff
- 215 undergraduate students, on average class sizes are less than 40 students
- 200 taught postgraduate students, on average class sizes are less than 30 students
- Over 50 PhD students
The School is based in the iconic Glamorgan Building and all of our teaching happens within the School. We have a wide range of lecture rooms, design studios, and a state-of-the-art computer laboratory.
* NSS 2014
***DLHE data 2009/10