Dr Iestyn Pope
Telephone:+44(0)29 208 79037
Location:Cardiff School of Biosciences, The Sir Martin Evans Building, Museum Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3AX
I am a member of the BioPhotonics & Quantum Optoelctronics Group of Prof Paola Borri (School of Biosciences) and Prof Wolfgang Langbein (School of Physics & Astronomy). As part of this group who's interests lie at the interface between life and physical sciences I am involved in the following research activities:
Development of a new generation single source laser-scanning multiphoton microscope, capable of simultaneously acquiring differential-Coherent anti-Stokes Raman Scattering (D-CARS), Two Photon Fluorescence (TPF) and Second Harmonic Generation (SHG) images for studies on living cells. Using this new microscope, we are probing the following biological areas:
- The uptake of different types of lipid compounds (e.g. saturated / unsaturated) to determine the dynamics of lipid droplet formation and development in living cells.
- The study of the change in distribution of lipid droplets during oocyte development.
- The use of hyperspectral CARS data sets to generate chemical maps of cells and organoid structures.
- The use of nanodiamonds as optical labels and contrast agents in live cells.
The use of resonant Four-Wave Mixing (FWM) to image gold and silver nanoparticles inside cells.
The Engineer Awards (4th December 2009)
- Winner of the Medical/Health Care category, with CyMap.
- Winner of the Grand Prix: The Engineer Special Award, with CyMap.
EPR Biodose (10-14th October 2010)
- Poster Prize for best young scientist.
Bio-Nano-Photonics (13-14th September 2011)
- Poster Prize