Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Academic Issues


Below is a range of Frequently Asked Question publications covering advice on academic issues relating to your study. Please click on the relevant one to answer your queries.

We would also advise you to refer to the         

 Cardiff University Academic Regulations

Extenuating Circumstances

Students may occasionally experience personal circumstances, such as illness, bereavement etc, which can seriously disrupt their ability to study and/or affect performance in an assessment or an examination. At Cardiff University, we refer to this as Extenuating Circumstances. It is important that you report your extenuating circumstances at the time they occur and before the school deadline.

Further information on extenuating circumstances, including the form to report them, can be found on the Extenuating Circumstances webpages


Thinking of taking time out of your course?

The process for applying for an authorised absence of more than 10 consecutive study days is called an Interruption of Study. An Interruption of Study should not normally exceed 12 months.

Further information about the grounds for applying for an interruption of study and how to go about it can be found in the following FAQ Factsheet:


Uncertain whether you are on the right course?

If you are uncertain whether you are on the right course, there are options available to you. We would recommend that you come in and speak to an Advice and Guidance Adviser to discuss these options. The options available can include transferring to a different course at Cardiff University or another institution, taking time out of your course to consider your options ( please see Interruption of Study above) or even withdrawing from the course. All these options have financial implications to your student finance and the Advice and Guidance Team can advise you on these.

To give you further information, please read the following FAQ Factsheets that applies to your circumstances:


Have you received your results and unsure what it all means?

When you receive your results from the University it will include a transcript that tells you if you have passed your modules or not. Some students are required to repeat some of their modules, this could be as an internal or an external student. If you are unclear what this actually means, please see the following FAQ Factsheet:


If you want to challenge your results, the University does have an Appeal and Verification process to allow you to do so, under specific grounds. For further information, please see the following FAQ Factsheet:

Academic Appeal [130.1 Kb]


Fitness to Practice

If you are enrolled on a course which leads to professional registration (such as Pharmacy, Nursing or Medicine) and your conduct raises concerns about your suitability to enter that profession, you may face Fitness to Practice proceedings.

Further information about Fitness to Practice can be found in the following FAQ Factsheet:


If you can't find all the help you need on these web pages it may be that you need a discussion with an advisor, feel free to contact the Advice and Guidance Team.