Facts and figures
Cardiff University is a member of the Russell Group, a group of 24 leading UK research intensive universities.
We are the 12th largest university in the UK in terms of student numbers with a total estimated income for 2013/14 of £460M.
Our student community
We have 26,269 students enrolled, representing over 100 countries.
- 18,685 undergraduates
- 7,584 postgraduates
- 5,090 international students
- 1,000 students volunteer in the local community each year
- 170,000 alumni across the globe from more than 180 countries
Student numbers confirmed for 2012/13.
Research and innovation
We have a world-leading research community with a strong and broad research base:
- our research contract awards have a total value of £500M
- we have won five Queen's Anniversary Prizes
- £20M has been invested in Cardiff University/Fusion IP spinouts
- we are 8th in the UK for interactions with SMEs since 2008*
- we rank 6th in the UK for estimated turnover (£43M) of all active graduate start-ups since 2008
- our researchers include two Nobel Prize winners - Professor Sir Martin Evans and Professor Robert Huber.
*Encouraging a British Invention Revolution, Sir Andrew Witty, October 2013.
Our graduates are sought-after by employers - more so than most other major UK universities.
- 94% of graduates enter employment or professional training/postgraduate study shortly after graduating
- 78% obtain graduate level employment, placing the University 16th in the UK for this measure
Based on HESA Destination of Leavers in Higher Education survey.
Our academic structure
We have three Colleges that oversee our 26 Academic Schools: