‘Cardiff University: 125 Years’ Photo Competition
How to Enter
Before you consider entering the competition, please read through the Terms and Conditions below. Terms of a competition are important, especially so with our competition as it describes criteria your photo must meet to enter.
When you’ve read the Terms and Conditions, submit your photo to the Cardiff University 125 competition using one of these two easy methods:
- Flickr.com – We prefer to receive submissions via Flickr.com. If you’re a Flickr user, you can join the Cardiff University 125 Photo Competition group by visiting -
After you click ‘Join this group’, the Photo Competition Team will approve your request and you can submit photos easily by clicking ‘Send to Group’ on any of your Flickr photos.
If you’re not a Flickr.com user, you can sign up for free, upload your photos and submit to our group easily. Go to http://www.flickr.com for more information.
- Email – Submitting your photo by email is easy.
Importantly, do not attach your photo to the email you send us.
To submit by email, send a mail to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ with the subject of '125 Photo Competition'.
- Note a caption for your photo that details the subject of the photo.
- Include your full name, email address and the category you would like to enter. If you are entering a staff or student only category, include your staff or student ID number.
- Finally and importantly, include a link to your photo with your email (the photo should be on the web, not attached to your email). If you need somewhere to store your photo, we would suggest hosting it with one of the many free providers, or considering the Flickr.com option above (a free Flickr.com account is an option).
Do not attach your photo to the email as it may be rejected by our server.
As part of submission of a photo, the photo will automatically be considered for feature on our '125 Years' website in-line with the Terms and Conditions. If chosen to appear on our '125 Years' website, your caption and name will appear next to your photo.
Terms and conditions
- The Cardiff University 125 Photo Competition has a number of Terms and Conditions for entry. These are important to ensure that the photo you submit is both eligible to win and meets important legal and fair criteria.. Note that any deviation from these Terms and Conditions may regretfully render your submission to the competition void.
2. Submission and Acceptance
- All entrants must declare that the photographs are their own work and free of any copyright other than their own personal copyright. In submitting to the competition, you agree to grant Cardiff University a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the submitted material in any way that we want. You still own the copyright to everything you contribute.
- You can submit more than one photo to each category, but no more than 20 in each category.
- A particular photo should be submitted to one category only.
- Submission photos should be a minimum of 1600 pixels wide or high on the longest side of the photograph.
- For the ‘My Work’ category your current staff or student number must also be provided when asked for as proof of category eligibility.
- Cardiff University has provided 2 methods for submitting your photograph to the Cardiff University 125 Photo Competition. These are via Flickr.com, the popular social photo sharing website, and by email (see notes above on How to Enter). Cardiff University cannot guarantee that all pictures submitted through these methods will be accepted into the competition.
- Pictures will not be accepted into the competition if they are deemed inappropriate. This includes images that may be offensive, previously published, copyrighted (by somebody other than the entrant) or otherwise contrary to the spirit of the competition or any of the specific rules noted for each competition category. Photos may also not be accepted into the competition if the focus of the photo is an identifiable individual who has not given their consent to appear or if photos feature advertising or trademarks which would otherwise require Cardiff University to obtain permission to use or would contravene rules which may govern University publications.
- If your photos are deemed inappropriate, they will not be considered by the Photo Competition judges and / or will be removed from the accepted pool of photos (Flickr.com group and submissions received via email). Whilst we do try to notify owners of the reasons why their photo has not been accepted, we cannot guarantee a personal response or dialogue for all photos.
- Should a photo be identified as inappropriate whilst it has been accepted into the competition, Cardiff University reserves the right to remove it from the competition, disqualifying the owner (an example of this scenario is if an image is accepted, but later identified as a copyrighted image from a film or magazine where the entrant was not the photographer or the copyright holder).
3. Eligibility to Enter
- The photo competition is open to Cardiff University staff and students as well as the public. One category (‘My Work’) is only open to Cardiff University staff and students, who, on selection of their work, must provide a valid, current staff or student ID number.
- The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom only, including overseas students who are currently studying at any UK University and have a relevant visa.
- The competition is not open to Photo Competition judges, Cardiff University PRCOM Web Team staff or their families.
- The competition is not open to freelance, agency or professional photographers who have historically supplied - or are in the process of supplying - Cardiff University with photography as a professional service.
4. Competition Prizes, Judging & Prize Draw
- Each month the competition runs during 2008, a ‘Pick of the Month’ photo will be selected as a winner of a prize. This will be chosen by a judge selected by Cardiff University’s Strategic Development Directorate. The prize each month will be a £20 Amazon.co.uk gift voucher for each category and each ‘Pick of the Month’ photo will automatically be included in the category’s Grand Prize final.
- The final Grand Prize winners of the competition will be announced during October 2008. A pool of finalist photographs will be selected from all submissions by the Primary Judging Panel. These will include all previous ‘Pick of the Month’ winners as well as a selection of the other submissions. From this pool, the Final Judging Panel will select a winner for each competition category which will be awarded the grand prize for the category.
- No cash alternative, charity donation or substitution prize will be offered. Cardiff University reserves the right to change the prizes at any time.
5. Copyright, Licence and Your Work
- In submitting to the competition, you agree to grant Cardiff University a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the submitted material in any way that we want. You still own the copyright to everything you contribute.
- If your image is accepted, we will publish your name alongside it wherever used as part of the Cardiff University 125 Photo Competition. Note that this accreditation will not be possible with use of your photo in printed publications, general Cardiff University website use or incorporation on any other media outside the context of the Cardiff University 125 Photo Competition.
6. People in your photographs
- If you take pictures of other people, you are responsible for gaining their consent for Cardiff University to use their image free of copyright, fee or any other usage restriction. If you happen to take pictures of people aged under 18 as part of your entry, you must get consent from the subject’s parents before submitting your photo.
7. Feedback & Other Correspondence
- If you would like to send us feedback or any queries about the competition, please email email@example.com.
- For a list of competition winners, please apply in writing (after 31st October 2008) to: -
Photo Competition Winner Query
46 Park Place